The “Geography” Department investigates the spatial differentiation, dynamics and relationships between the processes and phenomena of nature and society within Bulgaria’s borders and beyond. This type of spatial interpretation requires a complex research approach.
The Department provides independent scientific services for the conceptions, development, monitoring and implementation of national, regional and local policies in Bulgaria. It takes responsibility for the fundamental national and European research priorities in respect to the present and future organization of the overall geographic space of the country.
The researchers of the Department provide competent information to governmental institutions, private businesses, NGOs, educational and research organizations as well to the general public. It maintains and develops the geo-information database of Bulgaria, seeks to engage the community with the problems of Global Change and its regional implications, and contributes to the consolidation of human values in all spheres of social life.
Our goals are to raise the competitiveness and to promote the sustainable economic growth in the conditions of Eurointegration and globalization and to preserve Bulgaria’s nature and cultural identity.
Main research areas:
Global change and environmental protection:
- Regularities in the dynamics of the natural system undergoing global changes from the viewpoint of sustainable development of the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Alternative energy sources and balanced resource use;
- Risk processes and phenomena of natural and anthropogenic origin. Environmental risk management and reduction of the vulnerability of socio-economic systems;
- Spatial modeling and analysis of environmental components.
Eurointegration, trans-border cooperation and sustainable regional development:
- Bulgaria’s geographic situation, including its geo-strategic position, in view of EU integration and participation in the European territorial cooperation;
- National, regional and local problems of the demographic situation, settlement system, economy, infrastructure, tourism, regional development, etc.;
- Mapping and territorial analysis of the economic sectors and regions within Bulgaria’s borders and beyond.
Training and qualification:
- Development of PhD Programs and training of PhD students;
- Teaching and publishing activities;
- Publication of scientific and popular science literature.